Small Business Economic Recovery Grant
October 2020 — Round 2
Uintah County, Vernal City, Naples City, and Ballard City are pleased to provide small business grants -Round 2- in an effort to assist businesses throughout the COVID-19 hardship. Small businesses are critical to the success of our Basin's economy. The funds originate from the CARES Act approved by Congress and passed through the Utah Governor's Office of Management and Budget. Each local government has determined that these grant expenditures are necessary in response to the public health emergency.
To qualify, businesses must have experienced a significant impact as a result of the Public Health Order on April 2, 2020 (or subsequent health orders). The business must have a business presence in Uintah County that was financially impacted due to a health order associated with the COVID pandemic.
Grant Eligibility Requirements
ALL must apply
- Entity must be a registered business in Uintah County with an active business license as of April 1, 2020. Exception for a home business that does not require a business license and faith-based organizations.
- Entity must be a For-profit or Not-for-profit business in good standing with the Utah Division of Corporations
- Business must have incurred a business loss from March 1 through October 31, 2020 as a result of interruption caused by required closure as a result of the public health order, voluntarily closure to promote social distancing measures, or decreased customer demand as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency. For a new business established between April 1, 2019 and March 1, 2020, use the average monthly profit/loss for the months in operation prior to March 1 compared to the average monthly business loss from March 1 to October 31, 2020
- Business must operate with less than 500 employees.
- Business is not a publicly traded company. Exception given for a franchise owner with a business that is locally owned.
- A business can apply for Round 2 funding although they received a Round 1 grant if the business qualifies for additional funding
Grant Funding Preferences
The selection committee will review the submitted applications to determine recipients and grant amount. The following preferences will be a factor in those determinations and are listed in order of priority.
- Business experienced interruption caused by required closure (examples: dine-in restaurants, health club, gymnastics or dance studio)
- Business experienced interruption caused by decreased customer demand as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency (example: hotel)
- Business experienced interruption caused by voluntary closure or partial closure to promote social distancing measures (example: retail store)
- Business made efforts to comply with the public health orders from the State of Utah and Tri-County Health Department
- Priority will be given to businesses that did not receive Round 1 funding
- Priority will be given to business with higher percentage of business losses attributed to public health orders
- Preference will be given to a business that has not received other recovery grant funding
- Priority will be given to businesses with a storefront versus a home based business.
$1,000 to $10,000
To complete this application, you will need the following information available:
- EIN or SSN number
- Information to complete a W-9 form (must be submitted). Form can be downloaded from irs.gov
- Estimated gross business revenue from March 1 to October 31, 2019
- Estimated gross business revenue from March 1 to October 31, 2020
- Amount of grant funds received from other economic recovery grants during the past six months such as EIDL funds, PPP (grant portion only), County recovery grant – Round 1, and State recovery grants such as Shop in Utah.
Grant Submission Deadline
Monday, November 16, 2020; 5pm MST
Applicant must submit a W-9 form as part of this application. The grant award is likely taxable and reported as income by the awarding entity.
Applications can be submitted online at uintahbusinessgrant.org (preferred method) or will be accepted by email or mail to Sylvia Wilkins, Uintah County Economic Department, 152 East 100 North, Vernal, Urah 84078. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper copies are available at the Vernal Area Chamber of Commerce or the Uintah County Economic Development Office. A PDF version of the application is available here.
Applications will be reviewed by representatives of each local government entity and other financial professionals. Grant awards will be from $1,000 to $10,000 based on the preferences listed in the application, number of applications received and grant funding available. If total grant requests do not reach funds allocated, the selection committee may grant more than $10,000 to a business based on priorities and if the business loss is greater than the recovery grant(s) received.
- Friday, October 23
- Round 2 grant application opens
- Monday, November 16
- Round 2 grant applications due by 5pm MST
- November 18
- Review of Round 2 grants begins
- Nov. 30 - Dec. 31
- Notification of award and release of funds
This is not a first-come, first serve grant opportunity. The grant award amount and recipient business name are subject to public record laws.